Sunday, February 5, 2012

International Snacks Feast-The Netherlands(2)








Boooom!Here's the second post of International Snacks Feast!Due to Chinese New Year,the post offices here were closed last week,so I didn't get the parcel until now.I was super excited to see a red sticker on my mail box,which means I have a package to get and that totally made my day!

Song-Thanh,an eighteen year-old always smiling girl,who exchanged snacks with me this time,is from the Netherlands.It's really nice to bring back my memory in Amsterdam.I went there like three or four years ago.The pity is that I was there only for three days,which means I didn't have much chance to eat authentically.Thanks for Song-Thanh,she just let me have a deeper look into Dutch culture.

My first impression of the Netherlands is "Drop,"a licorice flavor candy.As my prediction Song-Thanh sent it to me.The truth is I haven't actually heard from any foreigner says that he likes "drop."People look frightened on hearing that word,as if it's Voldemort.On the contrary,Dutch people just love it!Here's an interesting fact Song-Thanh told me that there're many other kinds of drop from sweet to salty,soft to hard!

Now I gotta tell you what I feel:The moment I opened up the drop,the smell seemed quite special in an weird-but-familiar way.Then I put one piece into my mouth,well,to be honest,that was the strangest thing I've ever tasted.I don't hate it but don't like it,either.The reason why I think it smells familiar is that we use licorice as a spice in our cuisine and medicine a lot in Taiwan.I cannot figure out why even if that's not a new thing for me,it's still hard to accept it. Valerie v.s. Drop /0:1 FAILED!

The Dutch snacks which I eat quite often is stroopwafels from Daelmans.I'm used to putting them on a cup of hot coffee or hot tea for five minutes before having it.The stroopwafels becomes moist and the caramel just becomes really soft.Therefore,you can imagine how excited I was on the moment seeing some mini stroopwafels in the parcel!

Another pack of cookies is speculaas,Song-Thanh told me that it contains different spices like pepper,cinnamon,ginger,cloves,cardamon and nutmeg.It has a distinct flavor and I like its aroma.I heard that it's a bit spicy,but this one is not at all.

Besides,there's a box of cute-looking cake with a layer of pink fondant.It's kind of fluffy,I usually prefer a dense and heavy one,but my friend's little sis loves it,you know,pink power!

This exchange makes me have a better acquaintance with Holland,perhaps not genuinely,but it's like a sudden realization.Regardless of my personal preference,it's interesting to find that how taste varies from country to country.

Wanna have some fun together?Can't wait to hear from you!


xx



64 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh everything here looks so delicious! You're so lucky to get such nice snacks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avec plaisir, et j'adore les gateau comme ceux là :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post has made me very hungry haha! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woeeh, i love this stuff!
    she is such a lovely girl x

    Love, May
    ohmaygod.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. De rien et merci à toi aussi! :-) Bisous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These snacks look so yummy! Thank you for commenting on and visiting my blog! I appreciate it, come back soon!

    Louisa
    http://circasundayafternoon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhhh yummy! Looking forward to our exchange! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm adducted to Spekulatius :D
    And thank you! What kind of series do you watch?

    xx

    http://golden-mirrors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything looks so delicious!
    yummy yummy

    x
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  10. these snacks look sooooo yummy! delicious! love your blog :)

    pepperandchips.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stroopwafels!!! Im from holland and i eat them a lot :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read these 'International Snacks Feast' posts with great interest as I'm an Italian living in Belgium...and I love Pierre Marcolini and speculaas! Glad to see that cinnamon cookies are hits in the Netherlands as well...

    ReplyDelete
  13. you're sooo sweet, haha!
    would love to try all of them


    thegoorgeous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything looks delicious :)

    http://lovelyprettyworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. haha, those "Roze cakejes' (or like we call them "roze koeken") are SO good! they are pretty famous here because there once was a TV show and one of the ladies in it constantly ate them, haha! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh yum yum! Looks all delicious :-) xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super post!!!

    Angela Donava
    http://www.lookbooks.fr

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks yummy!! I'd love to try it all- xo akiko

    Style Imported

    ReplyDelete
  19. SIMPLY INCREDIBLE POST. LOVE IT.

    HTTP://PAQUETEVISTASBIEN.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete
  20. that internationak snack feast has been one of the greatest ideas i've seen in the blogosphere! i always love reading about the snacks you get and i am always curious about the ones coming up :) //dariadaria

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your blog makes me so so hungry of all these food.... Nice Blog!!


    xx

    thepeppymay

    ReplyDelete
  22. absolutely wonderful!
    www.milavojtowicz.blogspot.com my blog with DIY

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is an awesome idea!! If I was in my home country - Latvia, I would definitely send you a snack package!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Tes photos me donnent toujours autant envie!!
    Bise xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ziet er watertandend lekker uit!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. The pink cakes look so yummy!!

    Kisses Anne
    http://annenobody.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yummmmmmm!

    PS. We've a DORIS giveaway on our blog, check it out if you'd like! :)

    ox from NYC,
    -davie+erica

    LPFashionPhilosophy

    ReplyDelete
  28. mmm i really want one of those cookies!! there making me hungry!

    http://myheadandwardrobe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Stroopwaffles are so addictive! Love your blog. :)

    Step into Estherina's World

    ReplyDelete
  30. mmmm the pink cookies look amazing!!

    http://thegoldenpaillettes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looking so delicious!... hmmm...

    Much love from the SABO SKIRT girls!
    SHOP: www.saboskirt.com
    BLOG: www.saboskirt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a delicious blog you have! And what a nice idea to exchange snacks! I'm from the Netherlands and know all these snacks, and I like drop & stroopwafels the most. I love drop, but this kind of drop 'trekdrop' I just can't eat, it's really not so nice...

    www.PSbyDila.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Omnomnom, we Dutchies have the best snacks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I do have a preference for denser cakes, as well, but those pink snacks convert me on looks alone!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I LOVE the stroopwafels! I used to eat them always back in Romania, but I haven`t found them in England yet.xx

    http://www.theprovocativecouture.com/

    ReplyDelete
  36. they looked delicious
    I'm starving and wanna grab some LOL

    Sincerely,
    BERTHA NATASHA

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful! :)

    Join my GIVEAWAY! ;)
    http://liberty-walk-sara.blogspot.com/2012/02/giveaway-la-coste-perfume-pour-femme.html

    ReplyDelete
  38. They look interesting and so delicious!

    Bisous, Sara
    champagneandcedarwood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. I used to live in Holland..I miss Stroopwafels SO MUCH!!!


    x
    Valentina de Pertis

    ReplyDelete
  40. mmm all looks so yummy!

    www.alifeinthefashionlane.blogspot.com

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  41. Aaah the Netherlands ! :D country right next to me (belgium)

    ReplyDelete
  42. I tasted salty drops, wee wee it was soo strange.


    p.s. part 'as if it's Voldemort' made me laught so much, so thanks :DD


    http://deadlyinlove.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  43. Jeez! I´m really hungry after seeing these things. :D
    Kisses

    http://annacoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and please don't hesitate to leave your comments ♥

I speak Chinese, English, French, Spanish and Swedish. So feel free to leave your comments in those languages! I'd be happy to read them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...